Imagine spending your summer as a Team Leader or Assistant Instructor, building team spirit, developing individual relationships with campers, and assisting instructors in Galileo’s art, STEM, and/or outdoor play classes.
Substitutes fill in for absences lasting a day, a week, and sometimes longer, and are scheduled to work only when regular staff members are absent. The Substitute Summer Camp Counselor role is the perfect opportunity for those inspired by the idea of a Galileo summer, and who are open to or require a more flexible summer commitment.
We value divergent thinkers who bring various experiences and viewpoints to the table at Galileo. We strongly encourage members of underrepresented groups to apply.
WORK HOURS AND DATES
For Substitute staff, the work environment (including the physical location and the staff team) changes from day to day and week to week. Depending on the time of summer or the specific week or day, the needs of camp and resulting staff hours may vary. The camp day runs, on average, 8-9 hours for Substitute Summer Camp Counselors and Assistant Instructors. Substitute Summer Camp Counselors and Assistant Instructors typically work 7:45-4:15, with some also working Extended Care hours until as late as 6pm.
• Number of hours and start/finish time will vary by site, position and day
• Before setup days, complete between 2-12 hours of online training
• Participate in two mandatory training and setup days in the days before camp starts
• Participate in cleaning and packing up camp for an additional 5-10 hours during the final week of camp.
• We are committed to competitively compensating staff.
• Summer Camp Counselors are compensated at a regular hourly rate.
• Staff will be compensated at a different hourly training rate for online training and on-site setup/training
• Overtime will be paid at 1.5x the regular hourly rate in accordance with state and federal requirements
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Travel to multiple sites within a geographic region, providing support in whatever way most benefits the specific camp team with whom you work on any assigned day
• Lead teams of up to 20 campers to art, science and outdoor rotations
• Become familiar with curriculum for majors in which you will assist
• Fill in for Summer Interns, supporting smooth camp operation through a variety of tasks that vary from lesson material preparation and clean up to sign making and lunch organization
• Provide leadership, energy and camp spirit for campers, constantly assessing the needs of the group and individual campers
• Cover for staff in the classroom during daily ten-minute breaks,fulfilling their role while they are out
• Assist Summer Camp Counselors & Lead Instructors in the classroom, working with campers individually and in small groups
• Set, work toward, and achieve measurable professional development goals
• Support camper check-in and check-out processes
• Provide excellent customer service to families by communicating with them on a daily basis about their camper’s experience
• Assist with daily set-up and cleanup of camp and lesson preparation
• Contribute to and participate in daily opening and closing ceremonies, all-camp activities, and snack & lunch supervision
• Commitment to educational programming for children
• Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
• Ability to work collaboratively on a high-functioning team
• Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
• Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
• Strong organization skills and attention to detail
• Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately with families
• Ability to maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION
• Some college or equivalent experience
• Demonstrated leadership experience
• Experience in after-school programs or leading programs for groups of a wide range of grade levels a plus
• Eighteen years of age or high school graduate by first day of camp’s operation
How To Apply
Ready to work hard, play hard, inspire, and contribute?
Galileo is currently accepting applications for over 1,200 summer positions. Our hiring process is competitive, and positions fill quickly on a rolling basis.
APPLY TODAY at http://www.galileo-camps.com/jobs/summer-jobs/