The Raven Camp Manager will organize and direct the daily operations of Raven Camp; coordinate with staff, Air National Guard 109th personnel and researchers to ensure successful implementation of tasking on a daily basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, organize and direct camp operations to include facilities and equipment.
- Manage camp flight support, including skiway maintenance and cargo operations.
- Communicate daily with Logistics Contractor Management in Kangerlussuaq, including coordination on aircraft operations.
- Adhere to all Employee Health, Safety and Environmental policies and procedures. Report and document any incidents immediately. Manage and coordinate work schedules to incorporate HSE protocls to mitigate risk.
- Communicate with 109th personnel on requirements and manage daily schedule to accommodate. Provide flight support during flight training operations.
- Assist with peripheral 109th training requests, e.g. Kool School or night flying.
- Provide orientation to all new camp arrivals including field staff, research teams, 109th and other approved visitors.
- Manage camp cargo, retrograde and resupply needs, to include hazardous material preparation and shipment. Complete requirements for Hazardous Materials Shipment certification prior to deployment to field.
- Maintain documentation, including weekly report, daily flight and equipment logs, maintenance records, inventory and end of season report.
Education and Experience:
- Any combination of education, experience and training to a college degree and/or five years of relevant work experience that includes remote field experience.
- Previous experience with remote, cold and/or polar experience preferred
- Valid Passport required with at least six-months validity remaining
- Valid Driver's License is required
- Authorization to work in the U.S. is required. Polar Field Services cannot sponsor employment based work visas.
- Cognitive requirements include the ability to read, write and speak English, basic mathematical reasoning
- Ability to meet schedules and timelines, attend training classes as required, read and explain rules, regulations, policies and procedures
- Ability to plan and organize daily tasking.
Leadership Behaviors and Competencies Required:
- Overall Leadership – Is an inspiring leader that fosters high performing and engaged teams. Leads by example, exhibits emotional intelligence, and is an excellent representative of Polar Field Services.
- Performance Management - Communicates clear expectations and feedback in a manner that ensures accountability and helps to ensure others' success. Actively works to develop staff members in relevant and needed areas and delegates effectively. Provides recognition for excellent performance.
- Ability and willingness to work varied field operations schedules (up to 12+ hours per day), including split-shift, part-time, early mornings, evenings and weekends.
This position requires travel and deployment to remote field sites. The position is based at Raven Camp, Greenland for approximately six months between March – August. Travel to Greeland may be via NY with 109th or international commercial travel.
- When travelling and working at field sites, employees will sleep in insulated huts, dorms, hotels or other types of community housing. You should expect a roommate during all deployments to remote locations. Food may come from restaurants, self-made or from a cook and options may be limited. Showers, laundry and other typical amenities may be restricted or not available for periods of time.
- Transport may include but is not limited to foot traffic, snowmobiles, trucks, snow transport vehicles and aircraft.
- Due to living and working in a small, communal environment, must be able to establish and maintain effective relationships with others during and after working hours.
- Communications/bandwidth from field sites may be limited.
- Work is performed at high altitude.
General Behaviors and Competencies Required:
- Quality of Work - Work must reflect thoroughness, accuracy and care in presentation.
- Results – Achieves goals on schedule and on budget; takes initiative to make improvements.
- Quantity of Work/Time Management – Meets deadlines and workload is at an acceptable level. Is dependable and arrives to work and meetings on time.
- Customer Service - Demonstrates excellent customer service for both internal and external customers (PFS, Battelle, Loon, Google, X, NSF, scientists, etc.) and proactively works to improve the customer's experience.
- Teamwork - Has a positive attitude and influence on colleagues. Proactively works to build and maintain strong working relationships. Collaborates and works effectively with others and values and respects diversity. Actively participates, listens and shares ideas.
- Fiscal Responsibility – Manages and utilizes company time and resources responsibly and judiciously.
- Accountability -Does what s/he commits to; listens openly to feedback and accepts responsibility for errors without prompting; works actively to resolve errors/issues in a constructive manner.
- Judgment and Problem Solving - Quickly identifies causes of problems, generates creative solutions and makes choices consistent with company values and expectations; resolves problems in early stages whenever possible.
- Flexibility -Adapts to changing conditions, switching strategies as appropriate and generates new solutions; deals maturely with frustration and disappointment; integrates changes quickly and gracefully; understands, accepts and promotes change in the workplace.
- Communication Skills - Presents ideas clearly and effectively verbally and in writing; listens, questions and ensures understanding; keeps appropriate people informed and closes the loop; uses positive language, even in difficult situations.
Additional Skills, Behaviors and Competencies Required:
Code of Conduct
All PFS employees must abide by our Code of Conduct. In summary, PFS values diversity and it is our policy to ensure, promote and maintain an environment free from all forms of illegal harassment and discrimination.
- Treat others with dignity and respect.
- Work cooperatively to share experiences, lessons learned, and to resolve differences.
- Exercise a high level of professional and ethical behavior.
- Contribute to a safe workplace and protect the environment.
- Adheres to Health, Safety and Environment policies in planning and execution of activities
- Must wear hard hats, steel-toes boots, and other PPE when required
- Practices safe work methods.
- Report all incidents (injury, illness, near miss, property damage, etc.) immediately to the supervisor.
Please note: This position requires you to “physically qualify” (PQ). This means you must pass the National Science Foundation required physical/dental exams and drug screen prior to deployment.
- Able to move items up to 50lbs independently and 50+ lbs with mechanical assistance
- Able to frequently shovel snow
- Ability to withstand exposure to fumes, dust, and noise. Field work may require frequent exposure to other natural hazards.
- Ability to climb stairs and ladders
- Ability to wear hard hats, steel-toes boots, and other PPE when required
- General Safety Awareness
- Wilderness First Responder Certification
- Firearm Training
- CPR/AED Training
- Weather Observer (provided by Antarctic Support Contract Meteorology)
- Equipment Training
- Hazardous Materials Shipment, to include:
- Transportation of Hazardous Materials (49 CFR)
- Military Airlift of Hazardous Materials (AFMAN current version)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all requirements, activities and skills required of staff members. This job description may change at any time.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Statement
Polar Field Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. It is the policy of PFS to ensure equal employment opportunity to all job applicants and employees and to make employment-related decisions based upon qualifications and abilities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age over 40, disability, veterans status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or citizenship.
Location: Remote, Colorado, US
Posted Date: 11/23/2021
Polar Field Services INC